Sunday, December 7, 2008

Brazilian Tribute



I found out about this event the day before in the Village Voice, and so glad I stumbled upon it. The title of the show was Red Hot + Rio 2, and it was an all-star tribute to 70's brazilian funk music, held at the Brooklyn Academy of Music. For $25 I had the worst seat in the house way up the back, but that didn't matter because the energy of the performers radiated throughout the whole Opera House. Bebel Gilberto, Jose Gonzalez, Otto, Joao Parahyba (Brazilintime DVD), Money Mark & Mario Coldato Jr. (worked with Beastie Boys), Curumin (Quannum Records) and so many more performed a crazy 2 hour live set that summed up why I love Brazilian music. They played tribute to legends such as Tim Maia and Jorge Ben Jor by doing covers, backed by some crazy drum and rhythm sections. I filmed some of it but then unfortunately lost my camera later that night.

I've never seen blow-up beach balls being kicked around a dancing crowd in an Opera House before!

Here is a well-known song they covered, which is one of my favourites of the genre:



Jorge Ben Jor - Take It Easy My Brother Charlie

No comments: